Title: St. Peter’s Hospital, Albany, NY – Staff Perfusionist
Location: St. Peter’s Hospital, Albany, NY
Employment Type: Full Time
Full/Part Time: Full Time
- Commensurate with Experience
- 401(k) – Company Contribution
- Health, Dental, Vision Insurance
- Flexible Spending Account
- Company Paid Life Insurance
- Paid Time Off (PTO)
- CME Reimbursement
The Staff Perfusionist position shall be responsible for all aspects of perfusion-related services at St. Peter’s Hospital, Albany, NY in collaboration with departments of anesthesia, surgery, and nursing administration. Assumes responsibility for safe and proper operation and quality control of equipment, techniques, and procedures; and analyzes and evaluates activities to assure established quality patient care.
St Peter’s Hospital is the flagship tertiary care center for a large healthcare network in Upstate, NY, and is ranked in the top 5% of hospitals in NY. Our Cardiac Program consists of 4 Cardiac Surgeons and we are looking to grow our Perfusion team to 6 full-time perfusionists. We are the largest of 3 open heart programs in the Capital District and one of the busiest in Upstate, NY. We average 600+ procedures annually consisting of all adult open-heart cases and a busy TAVR program. We support minimal ECMO cases and no VAD/Transplants. The on-call duties are rotated among all team members for an excellent work-life balance. We enjoy living in Upstate with four seasons and access to cultural, sports, and entertainment venues in town. We are also close to the iconic Adirondacks, Berkshire Mountains, Vermont, and NYC all within a couple of hours’ drive.
- Hospitals: Surgical Services; Cardiac Catheterization Laboratory; Intensive Care or Cardiovascular Intensive Care Units, or any other area of the hospital requiring emergent bypass intervention
- Direct supervision by the physician performing the specific procedure
- Direct supervision by the on-site Perfusion Manager
- Indirect supervision by the Regional Perfusion Manager & Executive Leadership
Clinical Role and Responsibilities:
The duties of the Staff Perfusionist include, but are not limited to, the safe performance and management of:
- Cardiopulmonary bypass / extracorporeal circulation
- Counterpulsation / Intra-aortic Balloon Pump
- Extracorporeal Membrane Oxygenation (ECMO)
- Autotransfusion / Blood conservation
Other Role and Responsibilities:
- Coordinates purchasing of supplies and equipment and maximizes efficient utilization.
- Contributes to planning goals and objectives for the department and assists the director in coordinating activities and programs.
- Maintains quality improvement programs for the perfusion department in collaboration with hospital programs.
- Maintains compliance with regulatory and accreditation agency requirements.
- Plans and coordinates education of hospital employees for in-service/educational activities.
- Represents perfusion at hospital conferences and committee functions and serves as an interdepartmental liaison.
- Performs all aspects of clinical perfusion administration as scheduled.
- Bachelor’s degree or higher
- Graduate of an accredited cardiovascular perfusion education program
- Certified by the American Board of Cardiovascular Perfusion (ABCP)
- Valid New York State license in cardiovascular perfusion
- American Heart Association or Red Cross health care provider BLS Certification
The Certified Cardiovascular Perfusionist will demonstrate:
- The safe and effective operation of cardiac perfusion equipment
- Maintains equipment in good working order
- Informs Biomed of maintenance that needs to be performed on equipment
- Demonstrates effective infection control practices related to equipment operation
- Accurate patient information review
- Uses at least two ways to identify patients before treating or performing a procedure
- Verifies that the requested procedure correlates with the patient’s clinical history, presentation, and physician order
- Participates in the pre-procedure process to verify the correct procedure, for the correct patient, at the correct site and involves the patient in the verification process when possible
- Participates in a time-out immediately before the start of an invasive procedure or making of the incision.
- Accesses the patient medical record appropriately
- Documents in the medical record according to the facility standard/policy
- Maintains a safe environment
- Labels containers used for blood and specimens in the presence of the patient
- Labels all medications and solutions on and off the sterile field in perioperative and procedural settings
- Infection Prevention
- Practices consistent hand hygiene
- Uses personal protective equipment (PPE) when required
- Required immunizations per Division requirements
- Complies with Isolation precautions
- Maintains sterile field
- Participates in required educational programs.
- Participates in monthly departmental meetings.
- Seeks ongoing professional management educational growth.
- Maintains current certification and licensure requirements for Perfusion practice.
- Participates in the training and evaluation of Perfusion Program Students
Required Skills and Experience:
- Highly effective verbal and written communication skills are required to interact with patients, families, departmental units, medical and nursing staff, or all essential matters.
- Demonstrated effective interpersonal skills.
- Demonstrated ability to promote professionalism through involvement in professional organizations, teaching, research, publishing, and/or certification in an area of specialty.
- Ability to perform clinically as a Certified Clinical Perfusionist in the facility setting on a regular basis.
- Ability to operate, use, and interpret data from a wide variety of equipment to perform perfusion care as well as necessary perioperative or operating room care to support the safety and wellbeing of the patient while they are under the care of the Perfusionist.
- Effective verbal and written communication skills are required to effectively collaborate with various clinical staff and other disciplines.
- Ability to demonstrate knowledge and skills necessary to provide care appropriate to the patient population(s) served.
Visit https://keystoneperfusion.com/job-board/ to apply for the position.
Job Type: Full-time
To apply for this job please visit keystoneperfusion.com.